The plaid fabric I used, was actually from a Fat Quarter purchased at WalMart for around $1.50. Using this pattern, you should be able to get two out of each Fat Quarter. The other was off a bolt of fabric. Also I’m not even using a full-sized sewing machine. Mine is one of the smaller “craft” machines by Singer, but it seems to work for these.
If you would like this pattern, it can be found here at Lettuce Craft. I actually made the coral/pink mask first and it has a double layer of interfacing. I live in the South. It is a little thick for us on some days right now. When I did the plaid one, I decided to change that and I didn’t do the fold cut when I did the interfacing applying each half to the back of the fabric on the sides that meet. You just have to make sure that your iron-on side matches with the sides that need to have it. It may take some trial and error. I’m going to “live” with both of them for a while and see which I like better before I make more.
NOTE: I also cut my pattern out of a chopping mat from Dollar Tree. I have another post displaying it. It makes it so much faster, and easier, drawing out the pattern.